Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hunger.

My first thought is: what do I really know of hunger? I think hunger is painful, a grumbling tummy, even an indigestion type feeling in my chest. I get a headache. But... people who actually are starving most likely would give anything for my hunger pains in comparison to their own.

Yet, I will write about my first world hunger as if it were a problem...

My daily points for the past several weeks for Weight Watchers was 28. Yesterday, my husband took me on an super date (which he planned). Breakfast (eggs benedict - my favorite) and then Six Flags. At breakfast I asked for the hollandaise on the side. Good choice! I only had about a tablespoon of that delicious sauce. Then my desire at Six Flags - a caramel apple. I figured, apple - 0 points! Caramel - well I'll figure it out when I get home. :) It's got to be better than an elephant ear or funnel cake, right? (Well, it was... but not by much.) The caramel was between 9 - 13 points.

We walked the whole park. Went on thrill rides, and my favorite part of the whole day: watching people get scared silly by the dressed up ghouls hovering around the park after 5pm. One guy had a chainsaw (without the chain, of course), and he'd rev it by teeny-bopper girls and they would scream and run (and some would cry). Nik and I laughed so hard; I think I almost peed my pants. Poor children.

Well, then we went to dinner. I had kind of decided not to count points.... probably not the best choice. But I got a steak, veggies on the side, and a diet long island iced tea. But we also got chips and queso. And finished with desert.

72 points later, dinner finished, both of us reclining at the restaurant table, hands resting on our happy bellies, I confessed that this was the first time I'd been content and full in over a month and a half. I'd literally been hungry every single day since I start Weight Watchers. In fact, writing this post a day later, my tummy is grumbling reminiscing on our gluttony yesterday.

I come full circle. What do I really know of hunger? We live in a culture of gluttony and instant gratification. In America, we are obese in all realms, not just in body-fat. So, even more of a full circle; I began this blog to chart and track and chronicle my complete repentance: in body and in spirit. I will live with my finite and meager hunger, being mindful of my successful weight loss and being mindful that there are much more acute hunger pangs across our globe.

1 comment:

  1. How's it going now?

    Christmas and New Years are always rough for me. I think I did better than in most years past by far, but I won't know for sure until Friday/Saturday's weigh in. (Saturday in case I forget on Friday.) This week was a buffer week.

    ReplyDelete